Have you ever wanted to dip-dye/ombre your hair? Are you too hesitant to try because:
1. Your hair is damaged — especially the tips! Yikes!
2. You don’t know which salon to go to
3. If ever you did find a salon — it’s a bit pricey and you have the risk of having your hair even more damaged
4. You don’t want to bleach your hair
5. You don’t want anything permanent
If you answered yes to at least one, then you’re in luck! This is the easiest and the least time consuming method I have tried so far. It’s so easy you can do it yourself within the comforts of your own home.
This isn’t the first time I’ve done/used this product — which I will talk about in a bit. It was actually Marj Sia who first introduced it to Val and I last year.
So what exactly am I talking about? *cue in drumroll*
* Different colors available
Shine Moist Henna Wax
"Shine Moist Henna Wax Color Treatment especially designed for dull and damaged hair. The unique formula is competent to penetrate deeply with protecting the cuticular layer of hair while the color treatment is processing. Exclusive natural color treatment and rich protein bond ingredients helps give nutrition, leaves hair exceptionally soft plus natural color looking. Henna Wax Color Treatment enhanced by using professional steamer to maximize the potential softness."
THINGS YOU NEED + HOW TO APPLY:
1. Make sure you don’t have very dark / black hair. This will only work on med-light hair.
2. Make sure you cover your work area with newspapers/plastic. The dye stains quickly on most surfaces (but it’s washable…I think)
3. Use latex gloves — the product texture is a bit slippery so plastic gloves might not be a good idea.
4. Hair rubber bands
5. Plastic bags enough to fit in your hair. You can use shower caps too :)
Kool Aid Dip-Dye (very similar application process) — Click here for photos
1. Tie your hair into pigtails
2. Generously apply henna wax starting from the tips. Apply lesser henna wax as you proceed to the top /mid part of your pigtails
3. Make sure you apply the product EVENLY. It might be easier for you to use a dye brush :)
4. After application, wrap your hair up in plastic to avoid staining your clothes while waiting~ Use rubber bands to secure plastic bags.
5. Lighter hair — leave on for 15-30 minutes; Medium Shade — Leave on for an hour and a half. You can always re-apply if it’s not vibrant enough (but dry your hair first) Leave on longer if you want it to be extra vibrant!
6. Rinse off product/ until water runs clear. Do not shampoo/condition to allow color to stay in longer.
7. Dry hair and enjoy your new ombre/ dip-dye :)
• Affordable at only Php 214.00 a tub (good for 2-3 uses — for tips only)
• Locally available (Galleria Department Store and Landmark)
• It’s a treatment designed for dull & damaged hair so no need to worry about further damaging your hair.
• Temporary — will last for about 1 week or two. Color intensity fully depends on how light your hair is.
• You can control color intensity — depends on how long you leave the product on your hair before rinsing it.
• You have to rinse it off really well as product tends to bleed/stain on clothing. Wear dark colors for the first 2-3 days to avoid staining.
• Smells a bit weird but not unpleasant.
• Not too many colors to choose from.
• Can get a little messy when applying — cover your workplace with newspapers to avoid staining!